The Protective Hand of Sai – By Santosh Venkataraman

Santosh with Sri Sathya Sai at Brindavan
It was a bright Sunday morning. The hostel was filled with the hustle-bustle of students getting ready to go for the morning Darshan. Soon, full of attention and anticipation, we were all seated in the Mandir. The music began heralding the arrival of the Lord. He came, moved amidst the devotees, picking up letters from some, giving Vibhuti to some others, patting someone’s back or speaking a word of concern to another. He reached the block where the students were seated and asked why they were there. They replied that it was Sunday and that’s why they had come for morning Darshan. Swami immediately said, “For me there is no Sunday, no holiday. Everyday is a working day for me.”

Indeed, every minute, rather every moment of Swami’s life for the last nearly eighty years has been devoted to the welfare of humanity. When I look back I find that there are so many things that He has done for me. Not one, but even many lives of gratitude will not be sufficient to repay the Lord.

It was one of the journeys from my home town back to my college. I was travelling all alone by train. My parents had given me loads of advice, the most important being that as the train would reach the station late in the night I was to stay back at the station till dawn. I was to proceed to the college campus only in the morning. I gave a nod. But when I arrived at my destination I decided to venture out in the night. I knew neither the local language nor the place very well, yet I was determined to have my way. I left the station and walked until I reached a cross road. Someone told me that I would surely get a bus to Whitefield from there. It was already midnight. The roads were deserted except for one or two vehicles speeding past once in a while. I had already lost hopes of reaching the hostel that night and now the fear of being kidnapped crept into my mind. Soon, as though to confirm my fears, a van came and stopped just in front of me. The driver simply ushered me in. A few people who were already in the van got down after it had travelled some distance. Now the driver and I were the only occupants of the van. The driver drove on till we reached an old garage. He told me to alight and I complied with his command, more out of fear than anything else. I was about to pick up my luggage when he told me to leave it in the van. He then told me that it was unsafe to move around at such an hour and therefore advised me to stay at his residence for the night. He promised to leave me at the campus the next morning. I was left with no option but to follow him and the next morning he left me at Brindavan! I could only thank Swami for having brought me safely to Brindavan that morning.

There is a poem of Bhagavan I remember at this juncture.
“Adavilonunna Akasamunanunna
Pattanamuna Nunna Pallelonunna
Gutta Meedhanunna Natteta Nunnanu
Madhini Sai Ninnu Maravadepudu”
“You may be in the forest or in the sky, In the busy streets of a city or in a village, On top of a mountain or in deep waters, Sai will never forsake you.”

Often the Lord himself comes to the rescue of his loved ones. A sincere prayer from the heart and He immediately manifests himself in their service.

One of the students of our Institute was afflicted by a sore and his legs were swollen with pus. He could not take a step without help. It was nearly two weeks since he had gone for darshan. One day everyone, including the teacher in charge of sick boys, had gone for Darshan. Thus the hostel was deserted except for the boy. He felt sad that he had been unable to go for Swami’s Darshan for a very long time. He broke down, but soon, controlled himself and started praying fervently to Swami.

Meanwhile, in the Mandir, Swami asked for the car to be brought out. Swami got into the car and left the Mandir. In about half an hour Swami returned and went into the interview room. Thereafter, Bhajans started and Bhagavan took arathi and retired.

Back in the hostel, the boy was brimming over with joy, ready to share a rare experience with everyone. In response to the prayer of this boy, the Lord had himself come all the way from the Mandir, walked right into his room and sat on his bedding on the floor along with him. He had created Vibhuti and massaged it on his leg below the thigh and consoled him. Swami blessed him profusely and left the hostel. All this just in response to a heart-felt prayer. Needless to say, within a few days the boy was completely healed. These are just two instances of His response to our prayers. Millions of people pray to Him every moment and He has been responding to each prayer without caring for Himself. What can one offer to the Lord who protects everyone like the eyelids protect the eyes? What can we offer to the Lord who provides everything even before we tell Him of our needs? In the eightieth year of the Advent of the Avatar, let me offer myself at His Lotus Feet and pray to Him to make me a worthy instrument in His Mission.

- Santosh Venkataraman
Student (2003-2008), Faculty of Management & Commerce
Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning

Source: Sai Sparshan 2005 (80th Birthday Offering)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top