Deserve Before You Desire – By Raman Chopra

The way in which my family got introduced to Swami is indeed very strange. A long time back, during the Partition, my grandparents lived in that part of Punjab, which is now in Pakistan. So they fled from there and settled in Chandigarh. As my grandfather was in the Air Force, they were given government quarters to live in. After Partition, they were introduced to a Sai devotee by a family friend. They soon developed a close relationship with the Sai devotee. He used to come very often to their house. One day when they were sitting and talking, the topic about Swami came up. The devotee then told my grandparents about Swami, His magnificence, His omnipotence, His miracles and His ability to help His devotees in times of crisis wherever they are and whenever they need it. He also narrated some of his personal experiences to my grandparents. Initially, they could not believe a single word. They wondered how Swami could create medallions and ash from thin air. Being educated and rational, they strongly believed that this was just not possible. However, deep in their hearts, they could feel this could be true. The person then told them to visit Puttaparthi and see things for themselves. After a lot of coaxing, he convinced my unwilling grandparents to go to Puttaparthi. 

Since my grandfather was in the Air Force, they had to come in an air force plane. On the day of their departure, they got delayed due to some reasons. They took it in the positive sense and thought that maybe God did not want them to go to Puttaparthi. However, the inner voice insisted they should go to the airport. When they reached the airport, to their utter surprise they saw that the plane, which they were to board had not yet left. They were very happy and amazed at the same time. Without wasting any more time they boarded the plane. When asked the reason for the delay their neighbour told them an unbelievable story. They were told that the plane had no brake fluid. They were even told that before, coming out of the aerodrome, the plane had been checked twice and the brake fluid level was full. But as soon as it came out of the aerodrome, the level dropped to zero. Since they could not leave without brake fluid, the flight got delayed. There was a frantic search for the brake fluid and they could not find even one can of brake fluid in the whole airport! While the search was going on, the plane was thoroughly checked and found there was no leak. The staff was simply astonished and so were the passengers. All of them were thinking that the brake fluid cannot just disappear, then where did it go? 

The real fun started when my grandparents entered the plane. As soon as their neighbour finished talking there was an announcement, “Your attention lease! The brake fluid level has come up and the engine has been checked twice. We shall take off in the next ten minutes.” The brake fluid level has automatically come up. This convinced my grandparents that God delayed the plane just for them. This was their first Divine experience. They reached ‘Parthi’ and had Swami’s Darshan. They were held strongly by the bond of love created by Swami did not want to part with the Divine company. But since my grandfather had only a week’s leave, they had to go back. But from then they have been coming here every year for at least 4-5 months. With Swami’s grace, all his four daughters studied in Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning at Anantapur campus. And I am His student too, by His grace. 

Before coming here I never had any experience but after joining here and listening to the incidents of my fellow classmates, I was just literally dying to have an experience to my credit. Now I would like to share one experience. Once I was sitting in the Darshan hall in one of the last lines of the third group i.e., just behind Vedam group and was recollecting the experiences, which I had read. I was thinking about a man who could come to Puttaparthi only once in his life. Though was a staunch devotee of Swami, he could come only once for Swami’s Darshan. When he did come, he got the chance to be seated in the first line. On seeing Swami, tears of joy started flowing from his eyes. Swami came to him and asked, “Bangaru, why are you crying? You are very lucky that you could come for my Darshan”, patted him and went away. Throughout the Darshan he kept on weeping. I was thinking of how lucky he was. Swami was sitting just opposite me, though a little far away. I looked at Swami and said, “Swami, can I too get such an experience when on seeing you tears of joy well up in my eyes?” Swami looked at me, and flashed a smile. Not fully satisfied, I felt that I do not deserve such an experience. I felt unhappy for some time but then I decided to prove myself worthy of Swami. 

From then, I became sincere and truthful in every prayer and in my work. After a month or so, the time came. I was sitting in the first line of the third block, though not near Swami’s chair but near the primary school side. Swami came on the dais and walked towards the primary school section and stood there for an unusually long time. Then He told brother Arun Kumar who accompanied Swami to bring His chair. His chair was brought and He sat directly in front of me. This was enough to trigger my tears of joy. Tears started trickling down my cheeks. Tears flowed down continuously for one hour after which Swami went inside for Bhajans. From this incident, I realised that Swami responds to everyone’s prayers but at the right time. One of Swami’s teachings comes to my mind at this time, “Deserve before you desire.” 

There is another small experience. It so happened that once Swami started avoiding me. He would never look at the place where I sit. If I sit in the third block, He would turn his face towards the fourth block while passing me, and after He passes me He would turn his face back towards third block. This continued for a week or two before the winter holidays. Throughout Darshan I used to pray to Swami to look at me, but He never did so. I felt like crying but I controlled myself. I used to ask Swami, “What wrong I have committed to deserve this punishment.” But my questions were never answered. Then, on the day our winter vacations were to begin we went for Darshan in the afternoon. I was sitting in the middle of the fifth block. I knew that it was very difficult for Swami to spot me but I was still praying. Swami started the rounds in His car and when He was corning towards the fifth block my prayers were intensified. I prayed, “Swami, today we are going back and I won’t be able to see you for twelve days. Before I go, won’t you give me one last glance, would You not bless me with Your look?” He was looking the other side. As soon I finished my statement, He turned sharply, looked straight and deep into my eyes for a second and then He turned his head towards the other side. This experience shows Swami’s love towards devotees.

 

- Raman Chopra
Student (2004-2006)
Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School
Prasanthi Nilayam


Source: Sai Nandana 2005 (80th Birthday Offering)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top