How Sri Sathya Sai Healed Me... - By R. Manjunath

I was brought up in a spiritual atmosphere during my childhood days and was perhaps destined to join the Sai family. What I am today is all due to Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. I am grateful to Him, and I wish to recapitulate the various experiences which I have had during the course of my life. 

When I was studying in the school, I had heard people say that Baba is God and has come to uplift Dharma, but I did not believe such a thing would happen in Kali-age. As I grew up and entered the higher classes, my doubts whether Swami is God or not, increased immensely. To add fuel to the fire of doubt, many relatives and friends misled me. It was my parents and some devotees of Swami, who reinstalled the faith in me. I was extremely happy to have the support of such people, to put me on the right path. 

Later I came to know that some of the members of Sri Sathya Sai Trust were going to start a school in Hyderabad. I jumped in joy on hearing this wonderful news. Then it was announced that they would be holding an entrance examination for admission into the school and all were required to prepare for it. As soon as I heard that Mathematics was a part of the entrance examination, my heart sank because I was weak in Mathematics. Therefore, I sincerely prayed to Swami to give me a seat in His school, so that I would be in touch with the Lord. 

My younger brother, who had taken part in a play staged by Bal Vikas children, had got a chance to speak to Swami. At an opportune moment, he asked Swami whether both of us would obtain admission in His school. Swami said, “Yes, Bangaru. Both of you shall join My school.” Later, my brother informed me about the good fortune that both of us would have if we were admitted to the school. I thanked Bhagavan mentally and we started preparing for the entrance examination to the best of our ability. When the results were declared, I came to know that my brother had passed in all subjects and I had not performed well in the Mathematics exam. I prayed incessantly to Swami. To my amazement I found that I had been selected. I thanked Swami profusely. 

Later I wanted to get admission into the Sri Sathya Sai College, at Brindavan, Bangalore. I was told that only those who secured a first class would be given a seat. The authorities said that, although I would get admission into the college, I may not get any hostel accommodation and so I was asked to return and try for admission somewhere else. I took refuge in Swami, who had helped me all along and all the time. Two days later, miraculously a telegram reached me asking me to come immediately to Brindavan with my marks sheet. I was given a seat in the college and was allowed to stay in the hostel. I never felt homesick, as I had placed myself in Swami’s hands. 

I improved in my subjects gradually, and stood first in my subjects (science). My happiness was short lived, because I fell ill in the year 1983, due to abdominal complaints. I suffered nearly for 6 to 7 months from amoebic dysentery, and later from ulcerative colitis. I never wrote a letter to Swami, that I was ill because I knew that He was aware of everything. He used to give me directions only through dream visions. I took treatments from many doctors in Hyderabad, Bombay and Bangalore, but it was to no avail. The pains only doubled, and increased my suffering. Sometimes, all I wanted was a painless death. Seeing the condition I was in, the hostel warden suggested that I go home for rest and return after recouping some strength. Accordingly, after two days, my mother was called from Hyderabad to take me home. My mother came on the third day and took me straight to Prasanthi Nilayam. As soon as we alighted at Puttaparthi, we went to a dormitory nearby. Swami had come out for evening Darshan at that time. I was holding a letter to give to Swami. Swami took the letter from me, read the contents and asked me to wait. Swami’s words are difficult to understand. I waited for two days, but Swami did not respond. My mother decided to leave me alone in the place as she was needed at home the following evening. I also made up my mind to leave the following day for Hyderabad. As I was walking away from the Mandir portico, I was stopped by an elderly gentleman. He told me that I was supposed to wait, and that Swami would give instructions the next day morning. I was taken aback but I kept this piece of information to myself. 
Sri Sathya Sai in the Prasanthi Nilayam Interview Room
The next day dawned and I was ready sitting in the Darshan grounds. Swami called me inside the interview room along with a few overseas devotees. He then created a locket and gave it to me. He went on to narrate, in detail, about the problem I suffered from. Then He created Vibhuti and rubbed it on my stomach. Swami asked me to stop using all the medicines and continue taking Vibhuti water, and also prescribed a bland diet till I was well again. I recovered very fast. Today, I have no ulcer and I am rid of every other complaint regarding the stomach. This event took place on 8th of February 1985.

After passing my degree examinations, I joined the post graduate course (M. Sc.) in Prasanthi Nilayam. One more problem arose, and this time it was solely concerned with the skin. For five months, I suffered from eczema and took many a medicine without consulting Swami. These medicines gave only temporary relief, but the burning sensation, bleeding and itching continued to trouble me day and night. I was wondering whether I should go to Bangalore and get myself checked thoroughly. The same night, I had a dream vision of Swami. He appeared before me, and led me by hand to the Mandir and granted an interview. He then gave me a glass of milk to drink. Bhagavan assured me in the dream that I would be cured of my troubles. Saying so Swami disappeared and the dream ended. I got up in the morning and found that my eczematic patch disappeared completely.

This is how Swami cured my physical afflictions and along with it my mental affliction. To me, HE is the Supreme healer. 

- R. Manjunath
Alumnus, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
Prasanthi Nilayam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top