And The Greatest Is Love – By K. P. K. Chaitanya

“God is neither distant nor distinct from you.”

Long, long ago my parents were the devotees of Lord Venkateshwara. Even my grandparents were staunch devotees of Lord Venkateshwara. My grandfather was a Telugu pundit in Nellore. He was well known in Nellore as Shastri Sir. One day my grandfather heard of the great glories of Swami and also came to know about the new college built by Bhagavan. My grandfather had a desire to be a Telugu lecturer in Swami’s college. So he came to Puttaparthi. He had to stay here for four days. For three days he tried to ask Swami but in vain. On the fourth day’s morning, Swami came near him but didn’t say anything and simply walked away. My grandfather thought that now it was better for him to go away and leave for Nellore feeling disheartened. The bus was to leave at 6 pm. So he decided to try for the final time, during the afternoon Darshan. He managed to get a place in the first line. Swami came near him, talked to him about the matter and called the Principal of the Higher Secondary School. After talking to him, Swami finally selected my grandfather to be the Telugu lecturer for the Higher Secondary School. Thus the seed of devotion was sown in my grandparents’ hearts. As mentioned, my parents too were devotees of Lord Venkateshwara. One day my father read about the great Leelas of Sai Baba and was very much influenced by His Divinity. During that year, in 1991, my father was transferred from Madras to Bombay and then to Gujarat, as he was a government servant. He was a technical assistant in textiles department. When he was in Gujarat, he came to know a lot about Swami and His wonderful miracles through some of his friends, who were devotees of Swami. The more his love for Swami grew, the more distant he became physically from Swami. Once in a year all of us used to visit Puttaparthi to have His Divine Darshan. It was tough particularly because the entire journey used to take two and a half days and moreover my father did not have much leave from his work. 

One day during the Darshan, when he got a place in the first line, Swami came near him and talked to him about his personal matters and afterwards when he asked Swami about his transfer, Swami said that he would get transferred by the end of November. The very same thing happened, but he got transferred to Hyderabad only temporarily, that is for a period of one and a half years only. But it is due to Swami’s Grace that now three years have passed and he has still not received his transfer orders. Whatever Swami says will surely come true. We may not know when but it is certain. So whatever He says we have to follow by the word and that is enough. This is how my parents came into Swami’s fold. 

As for myself, because of my parents and grandparents, I have been exposed to Swami and His teachings since I was a small boy. When I was young, I used to be very naughty. But now, as a student Swami’s very own school, I realised how an ideal Sai student must behave. When I was in the Primary school, I was still a very naughty boy. Despite several requests and punishments, I did not change my behaviour.  I could not get accustomed to the life here. Due to my own mistakes, I was asked to leave the school. It was then that I realised how important it is to study here and that there cannot be any greater punishment than being asked to leave Swami’s school. After going to Gujarat, I faced several problems from all sides - from my friends, locality and from many others, even for any silly mistakes. What I had to learn here, I learnt it from the outside world the hard way. Here the teachers plead, request you to be good but outside, they thrash you and punish you to make you good. Such was my life after I was asked to leave Swami’s school.  

But finally when I was unable to bear, and when I cried out for my beloved Mother’s help, She (Swami) whose love is equal to that of a thousand mothers I came to my rescue. After a few days, my grandfather unexpectedly sent an application form for me. I applied for admission once again and today I am once more blessed to be a student in Swami’s school. I have been waiting for this opportunity for the last five years. Today I feel very proud to identify myself as a Sai student. Whatever Swami does is for our own good. If you can’t learn in one way, He will teach you in another. I was taught, unfortunately, the other way. The dream of my life at this age is to study in Swami’s school and present myself as an ideal Sai student by following and practicing His teachings and by spreading His message of love. I shall do it and make myself an instrument in Swami’s mission under proper guidance of His hand-picked teachers, my most loving brothers and most importantly my dearest and most beloved Mother Sai.

K. P. K. Chaitanya
Alumnus, Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School
Prasanthi Nilayam


Source: Sai Nandana 2005 (80th Birthday Offering)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top