Namasmarana: Gateway To The Lord – By K. R. Raghavendra

For the bird in the mid-ocean flying over the dark, deep waters, the only resting place is the mast of the ship sailing across. So too, the name of the Lord is the mast for man. We must remember it forever. Moreover, Swami said, “The Nama (Name) is a Nava (boat) by which you can cross the ocean of life. So see to it that there springs no leak through Kama, Krodha, and the rest.” 

Swami beautifully brought out the significance and power of Namasmarana through a small story: 

Once there was a pilgrim who reached a jungle at nightfall. He found that he had to go through five miles of forest before he could get shelter in a village. He had a small lantern in hand. He lit it but found to his dismay that the flicker could light only up to a yard ahead of him. “How can I reach a destination that I cannot even see in this poor light?” he lamented. A wise man passed that way and saw his plight and said, “My dear fellow, carry that lantern along with you and walk on. You can then go five or even fifty miles.” 

So too, on a raft made of two logs, tied together, a man can safely cross the ocean. The instrument may be small, but the work it can do may be out of proportion to its size. A small torch will help a man to pass through a thick forest. So, do not think the name of the Lord is just a matter of a syllable or two. Though small, through it, the principle of Divinity can be realised. A tiny seed contains within itself the potency to produce a huge tree. 

The Shastras say that in Krita Yuga, man was able to achieve liberation through Dhyana (Meditation), in the Treta Yuga, through Yagna (Ritual sacrifice), in the Dwapara Yuga, through Archana (Worship) and in this Kali Yuga through Namasmarana (Constant contemplation on the name of the Lord). Such is the power of Namasmarana. But, Swami said, “It isn’t enough if you know the glory of the name. It would be like the knowledge of the vitamin that a tablet contains. That knowledge cannot cure. Swallow it, let it be assimilated, and then the tablet will cure.” Mere exercise for the tongue is no good. Feelings too must saturate the name and the brain must constantly remind one of the meanings of the name. Then the joy is complete. I would like to share some of my personal experiences in this context. 

Once, when my grandfather carne from Bukkapatnam to Puttaparthi on foot to have Swami’s Darshan in 1950. Swami once mentioned to him, “Mee kutumbamloni Varandaru Naa Bhaktulu Avutaru,” which means that all the members of your family will be My devotees and as per the Lords words it became absolutely true. 

Around 1981-82, when my parents’ marriage was fixed, my father came from Hindupur to Puttaparthi for Swami’s Darshan. After his arrival, he had Darshan of our Lord. While coming back, he travelled three or four kilo meters, when his vehicle hit a stone on the way, as a result of which he somersaulted and his head got badly injured and became unconscious. Even so, he recovered soon, which I think is due to the Love of Swami and also the Akhanda Ram Bhajan being conducted by my grandfather at home that time. 

The above incidents remind me of Swami’s saying, “Take one step towards Me and I will take a hundred towards you.” 

After joining Swami’s school, I prayed to Swami that He should talk to me. I prayed many a time from the depth of my heart. I thought, “God’s delays are not His denials.” The first term got over. In the second term, though I forgot about it completely, the Lord remembered. One evening, at around 4:45 p.m, on ‘Bakrid’ Day of 2005, Swami asked me to distribute Prasadam. Some students took the vessels containing Prasadam and came near Swami. Seeing those students, I also went to get some vessels to distribute Prasadam. Suddenly, the person in charge of Prasadam distribution told me to go to Bhajan hall to distribute Prasadam to students inside the Bhajan hall. Luckily, Swami entered Bhajan hall just 5 minutes before. As per instructions, I directly went to distribute without going near Swami and suddenly Swami called me and asked, “Emi?” I answered, “Swami, Prasadam.” Swami asked, “Bhajanavarika?” I nodded my head. Swami saw me for some time and called two ladies and instructed me to pass two vessels of Prasadam to them. That is how Bhagavan fulfilled my desire that Swami should talk to me. 

I would like to conclude with a prayer: 

“O Lord!
Let these lips be one which pray to Thee,
Let this tongue be one, which chants Thy name,
Let this mind be one, which remembers Thee,
Let this body be one, which serves Thee.”


K. R. Raghavendra
Alumnus, Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School
Prasanthi Nilayam


Source: Sai Nandana 2005 (80th Birthday Offering)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top