The Divine Master – By B. Abhinay

Swami, the Divine Master is the toughest person to understand. In fact, He Himself has said many times, “It is not possible for you to understand Me, just accept Me”. Truly indeed, mysterious are His ways.

When I was a 10-year-old boy, I was very naughty. Those were the days when Swami used to give Darshan at 6:30 am. I used to wake up early and then hurry for Darshan only to be seated in the last lines of devotees. Being small, once, I just hopped into the second line of devotees. When Swami came, He lovingly stretched out His hand to take a letter from a devotee near me. With the mixed feelings of Love and fear, I got up and stuttered, “S-S-Swami!” With love and compassion, He raised His eyebrows and this gesture, I thought, meant, “What my child?” Though joining His institution was in my mind, out of fear, I only stretched my hands, asking for Vibhuti. He only stared at me, as He knew that I wanted something bigger and so just continued collecting the letters and went away. 

I was filled with joy as that was the first time I had interacted with the Avatar. At the same time, I felt unhappy, as I did not make good use of the great opportunity that I had in front of me. But how can the Divine master disappoint His child? So, He came, that night, in my dream and conducted the entrance exam and interviewed me. He then told me to get all the things required and there my dream ended. 

I got up feeling very blessed and then went to the Primary School for admission after Darshan. The headmistress of the school did not agree. As soon as she saw me she only said, “No admissions now”. Feeling a bit dejected I went back home and prayed intensely. This went on for a week and then I gave up. A year passed by. Once again I went to request the headmistress for admission. This time I was made to write the entrance exam. I finished the exam quickly and so the invigilator asked me if I was studying in a higher class. I replied in the negative. Nevertheless, she asked me if I knew Bhajans, Vedam, etc. When I replied in the affirmative, I was asked to sing a Bhajan, which I immediately did. She then told me to come again on the next day. 

With a great hope, I went there on the next day. The headmistress recognized me, gave me a form and said I was selected and should join the hostel after a week. With gratitude in my heart I prayed to Swami, thanking Him for fulfilling my wish. After getting all the requirements, I joined the hostel and from that day, every day has been a cherishable one with the physical proximity of Sai and the love He showers on His children.
Sri Sathya Sai distributing Chocolates
When I was in class IX, I took a tray containing dry fruits and chocolates to be blessed on my birthday. Swami slowly glided into the Kulwant Hall, giving His Darshan to thousands of devotees who had come from all over the world. As Swami came near me, I felt very excited. A few more boys had trays with them. Swami began blessing all of them. 

When it was my turn, I raised my tray and looked into His eyes. He looked into my eyes and blessed all the things on my tray. I continued looking into His eyes and He into mine. Suddenly, He began to wave His hand. He stopped waving and lo and behold! There was Vibhuti in His hand. He stretched His hand onto my tray. Thinking that Swami was going to sprinkle it on my tray, I only looked at the hand. Seeing this Swami lovingly told me, “Take.” Hearing this I stretched out my hands along with other boys to receive the Prasadam from His hand.

Swami gave a part of the Vibhuti to me and the rest He distributed among the other outstretched hands. I only looked into His eyes and expressed my gratitude through my eyes. All the boys who were present there thanked me and called me, ”lucky”. They said it was only because of me that they too were blessed. But I only closed my eyes and thanked Him profusely. The heart to heart connection had been established. I put the Vibhuti on a paper, sent it home, and told my parents to preserve it.

When I had my first interaction with Swami, I had stretched out my hand asking for Vibhuti. This time Swami fulfilled that small desire. This is an example that shows that His delays are not His denials. How can the loving mother make Her child feel unhappy? Swami has His own unique ways of answering His children’s prayers, whether they are small or big. But the most important thing is to pray sincerely.  

- B. Abhinay
Alumnus, Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School
Prasanthi Nilayam

1 comment:

Back to Top