How Sri Sathya Sai Answered My Prayers... - By K. Krishna

I had trouble in my left knee for three years when it was decided that I should get it checked. After the X-ray was taken the doctors said that I should undergo an operation immediately as my leg would have to be amputated if delayed for another 6 or 7 months. My parents could not believe it and so they took me to an expert doctor in Hyderabad. After examining he too said that an operation was inevitable for my own good. So it was decided that I should get my leg operated upon.

I came to Parthi on 12th June, 1985 for my studies. Then my father came to take me to Hyderabad for my operation. I went to Swami for taking His permission before going to Hyderabad along with my father. On the same day Swami was giving Padanamaskar to some of the Brindavan boys who were to leave Parthi that day. He said, “Chusta, Chusta.” (“I shall see, I shall see.”) 
Then He gave all of us some Vibhuti packets. This, I considered to be His assent for us to leave for Hyderabad. That night we journeyed and reached Hyderabad on 15th June. We stayed in the house of my father’s friend. He welcomed us and went for getting appointment with the doctor for the operation. He told us that the operation could be performed on 19th June, 1985.

On 19th June I had the long expected operation between 1:30 pm to 2:00 pm. When I got up, I was in semi-conscious state due to anaesthesia. Slowly I became normal. Then I noticed a plaster-of-Paris around the operated leg. On 20th June, due to the operation and intake of anaesthesia, I developed slight fever. Doctor diagnosed it to be malaria and gave medicines. The doctors gave a list of the exact medicines to be taken, of which, one was not given to me by the nurse (it was by name Electrol). As I had been suffering from loose motion and vomiting, the water content in my blood started decreasing (dehydration). When my father and the friend looked at the prescribed medicines, they found that though the Electrol was not given, it was recorded to be given. I would not have suffered from dehydration had I been given Electrol in the afternoon.

At 8:30 pm I could not drink even a spoonful of water. The medicine was to be taken with some water. But the water would be vomited and medicine would come out. My hands became numb and I almost went into a state where I could see nothing but blurred images of my mother, father and his friend. Then my mother opened one of the packets given to me by Swami and poured a little into my mouth along with some water. Surprisingly, this time the water did not come out of my mouth.

The condition continued for two hours. 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm was the shift change period. But no doctor came till 11:30 pm. When doctor came, as soon as he saw me, gave instructions to the nurse to get a glucose bottle ready in order to inject it into my body (intra-veins). She got it ready and by morning I was injected five bottles of saline, 500 ml each. Then I could see a little clearly. After five or six days I was discharged.

During the month of October 1985 the drama-boys selected for performing a Telugu Drama on the auspicious occasion of 60th Birthday celebrations of our beloved Lord were called for two or three interviews. After one such interview Swami gave us an opportunity to take Padanamaskar. Then I informed Swami about my trouble. He smiled and said, “Kosi Chitravatile Badeya” (“Cut it and throw it in Chitravati”). That time I did not understand its meaning. Later I came to know that the sentence meant the transferability of a burden from the human to the Divine.

Exactly one year later of this experience I had a trouble with my other knee. It was decided that I should undergo an operation for the knee in Poona where there was a military hospital. There was one of the famous doctors of orthopaedics in India by name Dr. R. D. Chaar. He undertook my case and for nearly a month the operation day could not be fixed as the day which was convenient for us was not convenient for him and vice-versa. At last, a day was fixed – 7th July, 1986. This was postponed as he had another important case to be attended on 7th July. This enabled us to visit Shirdi which was a few miles away. We went there and had Darshan of Shirdi Sai Baba. There we bought a book by name Sai Satcharita in Telugu. I remembered that it is good if one does Saptaham (reading for one week) of the holy book. I started reading it on 5th of July (Thursday). It was Thursday when I was admitted into the hospital. On 6th morning when I was doing my second day’s Parayanam, a medico came and said that I was wanted by Dr. Chaar. When I went there, he said that he was very sorry that he could not perform my operation as there was shortage of sleeping gas which has to be given before an operation.

This made me smile. I had already requested Swami to do things according to His will. Swami got the operation cancelled. Then, one medico tried to see the defect and was surprised to find it half-cured without any operation. This came as a shock to Dr. Chaar who examined my leg personally. Then he handed me discharge slip which said that I did not need an operation.

- K. Krishna
Alumnus, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
Prasanthi Nilayam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top