Sri Sathya Sai: My Superhero – By Amruth Sundarkumar

The ‘Sun’ and ‘Heat’ are synonymous, the ‘Moon’ and ‘Coolness’ are synonymous, the ‘Stars’ and ‘Twinkling’ are synonymous and so are ‘Swami’ and ‘Love’. Swami and His Love are superhuman, transcending all limitations. There are several incidents in my life where our Lord has come to my rescue like the superheroes who come and save the people. The superheroes are not true but mere fictional characters and they dare not come to one’s rescue in reality in times of crisis or disaster. But our superhero, Lord Sri Sathya Sai, intervenes at the right moment and He knows when, how and where to rescue. The fictional superheroes are praised heavily by the people, media etc. and the whole world seems to know whom they rescued and how they did it. To top it all, they attract attention. But, our Swami does everything silently without any fanfare. Hardly does anyone know whom He has saved from the jaws of death or how many countless lives He has touched with His Love, Omniscience and Omnipotence. I will narrate an incident to substantiate this.

I was born on the 7th of November, 1992. The prequel to the incident of my birth is a long story by itself. To cut it short, the doctors said that I was expected to be born on the 23rd of November or maybe later, but not before the 23rd. My mother’s joy knew no bounds, but due to some family reasons, she fervently prayed to Swami that I should be born before the 15th. But, in her heart-of-hearts she craved and prayed to Swami that I should be born on the 23rd. Well, how could I be born twice? – Before the 15th and on the 23rd? This was the challenge thrown open to Swami and a problem to be resolved. Did He manage to do it? And if yes, how would have He managed to do it? The following events resolve the mystery. Firstly, to the doctors’ and family’s surprise I was born on the 7th of November. If you fast forward the date by 16 days, there came the 23rd of November, our dear Lord’s birthday. On this auspicious day, after Bhajans and Aarti in our home, my mother came up to the cradle where I was sleeping and to her utter dismay she noticed that my face was turning red. I was unable to breathe. I had to be quickly rushed to the hospital and to add to the existing situation, there was heavy downpour as if a waterfall itself was gushing down from the sky. To worsen the matters further, the nearest hospital was more than two kilometres away. After traversing through the muck and puddles, we finally reached the hospital. My face had changed its colour from ‘red’ to ‘dark blue’. A few minutes after landing on the hospital bed and through constant attention and effort by the doctor, the most dreaded declaration came from the doctor’s mouth with the grim, old, familiar face of a doctor who had given up – I was no more! My mother was totally confounded and unable to accept the fact that I was dead. She could not digest what was happening and was totally lost. My grandmother braved the situation and called upon Swami’s name with burning earnestness not losing hope (rather “Faith”), even after life had ebbed away. After her ardent prayers, she requested the doctor to do something to the child to revive him for the last time. The doctor ridiculed her unreasonable request and said that he could not do anything since the child had already passed away. But due to my grandmother’s continuous pestering, in total disbelief, the doctor disinterestedly knocked on my knee just as one would do on a door. Even before he even turned to my grandmother to prove his point, the baby started crying! He was absolutely dumb-founded and could not believe his eyes or his ears. My mother on hearing my cries ran to the spot. It was too good to be true. The doctor marvelled at the happenings and as the old tales go (but with a minor change in it) I am pulsating with life even today. 
Amruth receiving blessings from Sri Sathya Sai on his birthday in Sai Kulwant Hall - November, 2010
The Ultimate Superhero had come to save me that day. Who knows, He might have saved several other people who were in similar dire circumstances on His Birthday. 

I narrated this incident in front of Swami on the day of our Gratitude Programme in my 12th Class. Swami cried and I cried too! It seemed as though Swami was also recapitulating the entire incident on that day. There wouldn’t have been a better day and better time to narrate this incident than on a Gratitude Programme day. The word ‘Gratitude’ cannot amply convey my feelings for what He did for my family and me that day, nor will it sufficiently express whatever He has done for us and continues to do so. There are several other incidents where our dearest Swami has guided, protected, shielded and helped me. Swami has come to my rescue many a time besides in situations that are life-threatening. Let us remember that Swami not only rescues us, but even gives us a signal when we are heading towards a dangerous situation. He does not totally prevent us from getting into trouble because He knows that He has imparted in us a sense of discrimination and intellect. When things go out of hand, He makes us wait and tests our tolerance and patience. Only when we are at the edge of the cliff, just about to fall, He pulls us back from nowhere and when we look behind to see who rescued us, He disappears. We still know that He saved us, but sadly, we forget to thank Him. 
Amruth with Sri Sathya Sai
The ignorant may argue saying that we do not need to thank Him because we are His property and thus it is His duty to protect us. Well, He has done His duty. Have we done ours? The least and the most that we can do is to thank Him. We cannot comprehend what He has done for us and if we can, then we have realised the ultimate. The debt we owe Him has to be repaid in regular payments in the form of our ‘Gratitude’. He does not ask for our gratitude. He says, “I have separated Myself from Myself to love Myself”. Realising this supreme fact that we are part of His personality we must love Him truly and deeply from within, expressing our gratitude. Thank You Swami.

- Amruth Sundarkumar
Student (2010-2015), Department of Management and Commerce
Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
Currently, Edelweiss Financial Service, Mumbai



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top