An SOS to Sri Sathya Sai – By Dr. M. Sainath

Dr. M. Sainath with Sri Sathya Sai
Many tales and stories are told about the amazing power of omniscience, omnipresence and omnipotence of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. What I am about to relate to you is another page of the book of miracles of that type. It is as amazing, true and sound as any other miracle of Bhagavan.

It was the year 1974. My father, who was in the Railways, received his orders of transfer to Sealdah, a suburb of Calcutta Metropolis. As duty called, my father, along with all of us, moved over and soon we settled down in that place. But soon, troubles began to spring up for us. Somehow, the climate and the surroundings did not suit us, and it was not long before we could feel the impact of all this. Slowly, one after the other, members of our family started falling ill. Once it would be a case of chicken pox and the other time jaundice, or a mighty stroke of malaria or a flu. All of us became extremely weak due to the repeat attacks of the ailment. 

The general human weakness is that they make an about turn towards God the moment they foresee a disaster or danger. Our family was no exception to it. In this case, ‘The Lord’ was Bhagavan Himself. As it was, we were His devotee right from the time I remember I was born. But now, our devotion increased leaps and bounds. We attended Bhajans and other activities, conducted by the Seva Organisation’s division at Calcutta. In all this, I must say we had the able guidance of Mr. K. P. Singh, one of our old family friends, who was an ardent devotee of Bhagavan. He encouraged us to participate in Bhajans and also spoke to us a lot about Swami and His Love for His devotees. He also lent us many books about Bhagavan, so that we could get more acquainted with the power and personality of Swami. Hence, we prayed our hearts out to the only God we can remember of at that time - Sri Sathya Sai Baba. 

Now, in the Railways, gaining an inter division transfer (viz. South Railway to Southern Railway) may be considered a day’s work. But gaining transfer to other Railways (viz. Eastern Railway to Southern Railway) is impossible thing. Hence we prayed in earnest and hoped for the best. We estimated that we would be stranded at that place for another two years. While troubles were still multiplying merrily, I fractured my left arm and later my father was laid up with an attack of jaundice. 

That was the last straw. We prayed fervently to Swami to pull us out of that place, knowing well that it would take time. And then it happened. It was so strange that, nay, amazingly marvellous, that a miracle happened! The transfer orders of my father, expected a good three years away, arrived exactly eight and a half months after we set foot in what was for us hell itself. We were all bewildered, but nevertheless conscious of the ‘superhuman’ (to us) feat that Bhagavan performed from far away Prasanthi Nilayam. You may consider this to be a coincidence, or my father’s luck, but we all believed and still do, that it was the best help Swami could do for us at that time. In a way He saved our souls from misery and suffering. He had answered our SOS.

- Dr. M. Sainath
Student and Research Scholar (1985 – 1994), Department of Physics
Faculty Member (1995-2008), Department of Physics
Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
Prasanthi Nilayam Campus
Currently, Director – Campus, Bearys Institute of Technology, Mangalore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top