Instant Transformation - By R. C. Sundarmurthy

16th August, 1981 - the day when I first entered the sacred precincts of Sri Sathya Sai Hostel, is one of great significance in my life. Five quick but very educative years have passed since then. Taking stock of the situation in which I am today, I cannot but rhapsodize the immense love and grace that my beloved benefactor, Bhagavan, has so beautifully showered on me.

“Take one step towards Me. I shall take a hundred towards you.” This is the immediate thought that races across my mind when I think of 16th August, 1981. Before I enrolled myself as a student in Swami’s college, however, for reasons which Swami alone knows, I was reluctant to visit Prasanthi Nilayam. This was the cause of great concern for my parents. (I was an occasional visitor to Brindavan, thanks to the pleasant weather there rather than the Divine presence of Baba.) The month of July, 1981 however proved to be different. To my parents’ casual suggestion that I visit Prasanthi Nilayam to see my younger brother studying, then, I, for a change, agreed. Bewildered as they were at this unexpected answer, they lost no time in preparing for the journey at that very moment, lest I should change my mind. And there I was for the first time in the mansion of God, the earthly abode of the Divine, the Vaikuntha of the Planet Earth.

It is said, “Every dog has its day,” and my day came. The Lord had waited enough for me to wander in the wilderness of my juvenile ignorance. It was time for me to get baptised and He had His own way of doing it. It was Darshan time in the evening. The atmosphere was serene, charged with spiritual vibrations. An air of expectation weighed heavily in the Mandir and the devotees had their eyes fixed at the twin doors of Swami’s apartments. The doors opened, announcing the Lord’s arrival. Standing there for a while, He viewed in silence His hopefuls for a little moment. Fresh, smiling and divinely captivating, He moved among the devotees, scattering joy on all those present in the huge assembly consisting of people from all walks of life. With each advancing step He took towards me (I was blessed to get the front row), my heart beat faster. The final moment came. There was a yard in front of me. His loving gaze slowly fell upon me, enquiring if I was ready to be accepted into His fold. Poor me! I didn’t know what to reply. Instead my hands unconsciously went for those two tender little feet - His feet which destroyed Kaliya in the Dwapara Yuga and redeemed Shabari in the Treta Yuga and the feet which are the only hope for humanity today. I had taken my step towards Him though I wasn’t aware of it. What a spell it cast on me!!! I, who till a few moments ago had my convictions deeply rooted in logical reasoning, thanks to the scientific age in which I live, in a trice switched loyalty. 

Faith, which is diametrically opposite to reason, faith in Swami became the basis of my life. There was sea of change in my way of thinking, in my attitude towards things in life ever since that electrifying touch. Sounds ridiculous? But for Your will, could I ever have accepted the suggestion of my parents on that July day? Never. But for Your grace, could I have taken that one step towards You? Never, never. But for Your love for me, could I ever have been accepted by You? Never, never, never. My beloved Lord, I pray from the secret abysses of my heart that I ever remain worthy of Thy love and grace.


- R. C. Sundarmurthy
Alumnus, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
Prasanthi Nilayam


Source: Sai Nandana 1985 (60th Birthday Offering)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top